Nerf guns are so much fun! They started off as toys for children to play with, but somewhere along the road, they also became entertainment for adults. Indeed, because they promote spatial skills, such as shooting at a target, they can be both useful, and very interesting to use. Here’s the thing though: with this type of toys, it’s crucial that you spend some time to find out what makes the best Nerf gun on the market. That’s because you don’t want to get a Nerf fun that’s somehow faulty, and has the potential of harming you or your children.
Ensure that your children make those memorable moments by providing them with adequate “weapons.” In this era of movies and video games, the boys might want to spice their game with some real action. You have no option but to grant them their wish. By that, I do not mean that you go to the market and pick any of the guns for them. Just like in any other type of shopping, you have to be careful. When it comes to best Nerf guns for kids, I got your back. Here are the top ten best Nerf guns for kids this year.
Here is a collection of the best nerf guns today. Whether you’re into a cosmic war, military battle, or a zombie hunt, the following reviews will help make you select the nerf gun that’s best for you or your kids.
Best Nerf Guns On The Market Today:
- 6-dart rotating drum
- Quick-draw blaster
- Slam-fire action
- 15-Dart rotating drum
- Fires darts up to 90 feet (27 meters)
- Slam-fire darts fast
- Nerf n-strike elite realiator blaster is a blaster and foam play for kids
- Removable stock helps you steady your shot, or you can remove the stock with the flip of a switch
- Enhance your mobility with the Stability Handle
- Fast blasting challenge the competition with the fastest-firing nerf dart blaster! The motorized hyper fire blaster fires up to 5 darts per second with fresh batteries and has a 25-dart drum. Kids can show their targeting skill as they take advantage of the blaster's speed and dart capacity to blast their way to victory!
- 4 x AA alkaline manganese batteries are required and are not included/supplied with the blaster
- Please read instructions carefully to understand product working
- Big Gun with Soft Bullets
- 10 Soft Foam Bullets included
- No batteries required. Easy pull and Play action.
- Unleash a sweeping zombie-blasting defense with this hardcore zombie strike flipfury blaster the blasters 2 flipping drums hold 6 zombie strike darts apiece and let you fire up to 12 darts without reloading
- Load up both drums with the included 12 zombie strike darts and hit the streets to wipe out those lurching, staggering zombies, you'll clear the battlefield with your flipfury blaster
- Nerf and all related characters are trademarks of hasbro
- Blaster that you can quickly pull
- With rapid fire action
- Including 6 elite darts and 6 darts from the accustrike series
- Fits for: NERF A3844 A0712 A0707 A0709 A0710 A0711A0713 A0715, NERF A0714 CS-35, NERF H34069 A4492 and Most OF NERF GUNS.
- Each dart is 7.2x1.3 cm*100 bullet.
- Very safe bullets which can also be launched to far distance.Easy to place,Keep fighting capacity
- Mega series blasters feature Mega Whistler darts that scream through the air
- Defend against a zombie invasion with Zombie Strike blasters
- Ignite the night with Fire Vision sports gear that glows when thrown
- Customize your Nerf Modulus blaster (sold separately)
- Part of the Nerf Modulus system
- Store 1 dart clip (not included) in the storage stock
Types of Nerf Guns
Before you make a purchase, it is important to understand the different types of Nerf Guns that you can find on the market. This knowledge will help you choose an appropriate gun that will suit the needs of your kid. Nerf guns are divided into these four categories.
1. Nerf Pistol
This is one of the most common types of Nerf guns in the market. It has the features and designs of an ordinary pistol. It is lightweight, meaning that your kid will handle it with ease. They won’t have to use two hands to shoot. Most pistol guns allow users to shoot a single dart at a time, though you can get versatile ones that give room for several shots.
These are relatively bigger than the pistols and also allow multiple shots at a time. Rifles have larger magazines and provide longer ranges than the pistols. They can be loaded with more ammunition and hit targets that are far away. They are ideal for kids who are playing in competitive leagues.
3. Nerf Shotgun
Nerf shotgun can give your children ultimate fun. They carry more ammunition at a time and can also release more darts on a single shot than the pistols. The best bit about them is that they are easily portable.
4. Special Guns
There are special Nerf guns that you can get for your child. They include holdout pistols, bow and arrows and even battery-operated machine guns. Special guns are ideal for competitions.
Key Features To Consider When Buying A Nerf Gun:
Nerf guns might not be state of the art or include any realistic features, but each model has its own set of unique features. No one will know your kid better than you and we have selected the best Nerf gun features you need to take into account when making your selection. Keep these features in mind when choosing:
- Weight: If it is too heavy, your child will avoid having fun with it. Most Nerf guns are made from plastic and this reduces the weight. Depending on the age of the child, you should be wary of the weight to ensure they can comfortably play with it.
- Easy to use: You might occasionally be busy and the gun needs to be reloaded when all of the darts have been shot. When making your selection, it is important to see how easy it can be reloaded. This should save you the trouble of doing it for them all the time.
- Extra darts: It is really easy to find extra darts, but you need to ensure the gun is compatible with them. Some aftermarket darts have heavier tips and this will make them travel a little farther if you like joining in on the action as an adult.
- Size: These guns come in a wide variety of different sizes and each size will be suited for a different child. If your child is still small, you should not look for the biggest gun as they will not be able to play with it.
- Age Range: Each of these guns will have a recommended age rating. When choosing the ideal gun, you should keep this in mind. If the gun is recommended for an 8-year old, it might be a little too complex for your 5-years old to handle.
Overall, Nerf guns are quite affordable and this is the reason we have not included the price. You should be able to find the right one with relative ease for your child by keeping these features in mind. However, we also recommend that you trust your gut.
Best Nerf Guns On The Market Today:
Now that you have a better understanding of the inner workings and some of the important features, you might be wondering which one of these guns are the best. We have done some legwork and tested a few of them to ensure that you can easily make your decision. Here are the top Nerf Guns on the market today:
Top 10 Nerf Guns of 2019 Reviewed
Nerf N-Strike Elite Rampage Blaster
This gun is one of the most popular Nerf guns out there, being great for both parents and children. To begin with, it’s very light, weighing only 2.8 pounds. This is perfect for kids, because it means that their arms won’t get tired easily while playing with it. It is also perfect for you, because it means that you will barely feel it in your hand while playing.
In terms of efficiency, this one is just about as efficient as they get. It holds as many as 25 darts! What this means is that you won’t be the one having to reload your gun during the fight, which, in turn, will mean that you won’t be the one left exposed. Also, it allows you to shoot those darts pretty darn fast, which is yet another aspect that you shouldn’t neglect when it comes to a Nerf gun fight.
In terms of the distance it shoots, it’s 90 feet! As such, you don’t have to be close to your opponent to knock them out of the game. You’ll have more opportunity to stay protected, and to shoot at adversaries. Isn’t this great?
Nerf Elite 2-in-1 Demolisher
Once again, you get the ability to shoot your opponents from the large distance of 90 feet. This enables you to stay covered, because you won’t have to move in closer in order to be able to take someone out. As such, you’ll see yourself becoming the winner of the game very fast.
This model is even more efficient in certain ways, because it allows you to shoot 2 kinds of ammo: both darts and missiles. You can load 10 darts at a time, and 2 missiles, which means that you’ll be pretty much set for most of the battle.
The top rated Nerf gun reviews are praising this model for providing a lot of fun. One of the reviewers talked about how happy her son was about the gun, and that when he got it, he started using it right away. Since then, he has played with it plenty of times, and is still in love with it.
Nerf N-Strike Mega Centurion
If it’s long distance shooting that you want, you’ve found it in this Nerf gun! Indeed, it has the power to shoot from as many as 100 feet away. It doesn’t get much more effective than that.
If you’re planning on getting this for one of your children, they’re bound to love how dramatic this toy is, because each time you shoot a dart, it makes a screaming sound. This can really help put the entire group into the right mood for playing.
The best Nerf gun reviews for this model love how much power this gun has. Of course, a lot of power is to be expected if you’re about to shoot a dart 100 feet away. They also loved how much fun they were having while playing with it.
Nerf Official N-Strike Elite Strongarm Blaster
The Nerf Official N-Strike Elite Strongarm Blaster is one of the more complex versions. The gun comes with 6 elite darts that will make it really easy for your child to shoot and play with. A rapid-fire option has been included, making it possible for children to shoot all 6 of the darts directly after one another for more fun.
With a rotating barrel, the gun can easily be reloaded for easy use without parental supervision. It also comes with easy to store packaging and the gun is really affordable. You should also keep in mind that the darts can be used with virtually any other Nerf Gun on the market if you need more darts. Modifying darts are not recommended.
- Long distance shooting
- Great durability
- Easy to reload
- Fun for adults as well
- Aiming is a little inaccurate
Nerf N-Strike Elite Triad EX-3 Blaster
The Nerf N-Strike Elite Triad EX-3 Blaster is somewhat smaller and features the same shape as the standard handgun. This makes it much easier for children to operate and some of the older children might only need one hand. The drawback is the fact that it only shots 3 darts, but this can also be manipulated by the child to decide which one should be shot.
When it comes to distance, this gun certainly offers a lot of it. It features a range of up to 90-feet and while it might lack some accuracy, it is really easy to handle by your child. It has also been constructed with durable materials and for the price; this will certainly be a real steal for you and your child. We would recommend it for younger children.
- Shoots with a lot of force
- Reaches long distances
- Easy to reload and handle
- Small and compact
- Only shoots 3 darts per loading cycle
Nerf N-Strike Jolt Blaster
The Nerf N-Strike Jolt Blaster is one of the smallest guns they have on offer. It is really compact and can easily be handled by any child. It might only take two darts, but this is for the child that likes taking their time before making the shot. It is quite durable and recommended for the smaller children looking to do the stealthy missions.
- Really cheap
- Small and compact
- Long range shooting
- Excellent accuracy
- Only fire two darts
The Toy Gun as a Tool for Child Development
Toy guns and child development seem like two phrases that don’t belong together. But as we have shown here, toy guns and imaginative play are instrumental in a child’s growth. Parents need to look beyond the shooting and focus on the benefits that toy guns provide.
I have already pointed out the many benefits above, but your child stands to gain a lot more. If you’re a parent, it’s normal to be concerned about the possible side effects of letting your child play with toy weapons. But once you look into the facts, the evidence in its favor is strong.
Of all the benefits that toy guns offer, social and emotional development is the most surprising. A detailed assessment of the facts will show this should be expected. Toy gun games revolve around the basic good guy vs. bad guy concept. One child plays hero and the other the villain. Before the game begins, the rules are laid down and play commences. It sounds simple enough, but a lot of things are actually happening.
Experts have also noted the following areas improve when kids play with toy guns.
- Kids learn how to strategize: most kids’ games involve the use of secret codes so the enemy doesn’t find out about their plans. This sounds like something all kids do, but it is part of their strategic thinking. As they grow older, the skills they gained from strategizing can benefit them.
- Better Overall Health: watch how kids play with Nerf guns and you’ll see how active they are. Lots of running around, ducking for cover, jumping, crawling and trying to avoid obstacles. This is the kind of activity that builds muscles, increases stamina and flexibility.
- Toy guns also encourage kids to play outdoors, which is always a good thing. It’s not good for kids to spend all their time in a room playing video games. Kids need to go outside, breathe some fresh air and enjoy the sun. The benefits won’t be apparent overnight, but give it a few weeks and you’ll see how much stronger they become.
- Another area where kids will benefit is improved reflexes. All that running, aiming and trying not to get hit improves their reaction time and perception.
How to Choose a Nerf Gun
When shopping for a nerf gun, you should choose as if you are buying a real gun, in some ways. You should also know that much like real guns, each nerf gun model has its own benefits and drawbacks. It always falls into the user’s personal preference as to what makes the right nerf gun for them.
Manual vs. Automatic
To streamline your search, the first thing you need to do is to determine whether you want a manual or an automatic gun.
When using a manual nerf gun, you have to load each bullet individually. The ammo is stored in the butt end and you have to pop each piece before shooting. Manual toy guns promote better firing capacity without clogging the chamber. They also have faster ammo reload time. However, the biggest drawback is that you can only fire one shot at a time. Manual nerf guns usually take longer to load from the start as well.
Automatic nerf guns, on the other hand, contain small cartridges that facilitate rapid fire mechanics, giving you the ability to produce non-stop firing shots per round of ammo. They allow quick load from the start, faster response, and rapid fire. Nonetheless, they require longer reload time for the ammo and they use up ammo quickly.
Gun Size & Weight
This is a very important factor to consider as some nerf guns can be too heavy for young children or too light for older kids. Not only that, weight matters in the heat of the battle too. If you prefer playing the part of a heavily-armed defensive or stationary player, sniper-type guns that are bulky and heavy is definitely a good choice. But if you will be hunting zombies, or running after your enemies in a battleground, opt for a lighter gun so you can move around with less hassle.
Remember that all nerf guns are made of plastic and they all gain weight as you add more parts. This means that a nerf gun with a more complex design and added features would mean a heavier weapon and vice versa. However, there are nerf models that allow you to add or take out some parts, depending on your firing needs.
Nerf guns make use of three specific types of ammo which are all safe for humans and pets: suction dart, standard dart, and foam torpedo.
- Suction Dart – this is a foam dart that has a suction cup on the bottom. This type of dart has a good amount of velocity that makes it stick to almost anything.
- Standard Dart – compatible with almost all recent models of nerf guns, standard darts come in a variety of colors with either an orange or yellow tip.
- Foam Torpedo – this one creates a ‘thud’ when the target is hit. It also has a wider radius and contains more foam, thus the moniker.
Nerf foam darts range in size, but the standard is one inch. This is intended to allow savvy parents to be able to use the same ammo for different types of nerf guns.
Furthermore, Nerf has released two more modern ammo which both promise accuracy and better shooting experience. These are the AccuStrike darts which feature an improved tip design and are compatible with all standard NERFs, and the Mega dart, which is a bit bigger and creates a thrilling whistling noise as it flies through the air.
Furthermore, Nerf also has the ‘missile’ dart which is used as a secondary one-shot ammo by some NERF blaster models, such as the Elite Demolisher.
When on a battlefield, how far your bullet (in this case, the dart) can travel is very important in gauging your success. Whether you’re on a playground, in the backyard, or out into the woods, a wider range would mean a better chance of hitting your opponents. Most nerf guns can produce enough of an air blast to fire a dart up to 75 feet, which is significantly farther. But of course, hitting an opponent in that kind of range is more possible with an automatic gun because a manual gun requires a little more aim and luck as you’re only firing one dart at a time.
Perhaps the biggest challenge that every player faces during the game would be the reloading. While everyone is given time to reload their ammo during ‘time-outs’, if you’re in the middle of the game and it’s crunch time, you want to be able to reload as quickly as possible. Usually, nerf guns with drums are harder to reload and take more time to hook up properly before firing. If you want a nerf gun that takes a breeze to reload, you might be well off with the shotgun-like models.
If you or your kid is really into using the gun in more imaginative ways, you will surely fund nerf guns that can be configured so appealing. Certain nerf guns are designed to be configured, such as the Modulus Tri-Strike. You can disassemble the gun and make into whatever primary weapon you need for a specific game.
For a more fun experience, you can choose to purchase accessories for your nerf gun, some are sold by third-party manufacturers. Most of these accessories are purely for cosmetic purposes – they make your gun look cool but won’t really give you an advantage during the dartplay.
Perhaps the most useful accessories are the higher-capacity magazines, commonly called ‘clips’, which are manufactured by Nerf themselves. They come in various shapes and sizes and can be interchanged between models as long as you have the Nerf gun with a magazine that’s actually removable. Other helpful accessories include grips, barrel extensions, sights, and bipods.
Nerf guns are available in a wide range of prices. Before you shop around, it can be a great idea to determine how much you are willing to spend (at least an estimation) so you can easily filter out the models that don’t fall within your budget. What’s great about Nerf products is that they are all relatively inexpensive. Depending on the features you want,
Don’t forget to include the extra ammo in your budget. When it comes to Nerf gun players, there’s not enough number of ammo. The darts can get lost easily, especially if you or your kids love playing outdoors.
Where to Buy
This is a matter of personal preference. Nerf guns are very popular so you’ll find them in toy stores, both online and locally. However, it is more convenient to buy online as they have a larger inventory and you don’t have to go to the physical store.
Buy only from reputable retailers so you can return the product and get a refund if there’s a problem. If you want to see what other Nerf guns are available online, there is no shortage of stores that you can browse. Read the product description and customer reviews to get an idea of what people think about them.
List Of Best Nerf Guns in This Month
Nerf has been helping kids and kids at heart create epic toy gun battles since the 1960s. And despite the heavy competition, what makes Nerf guns stand out all through time is that aside from the fact that they are completely safe, most of them can be modified with official accessories.
With the wide range of Nerf guns, you will definitely find the best one that fits you or your child. Just make sure to take into account your personal preference, playing needs, and preferred size. This way, you can make the most out of your Nerf gun.
Just as the name suggests, this is a handgun that is designed to eliminate zombies. It has a level of precision and is ideal for mid-range competitions. A kid can easily handle this gun with one hand. It is also durable and has attractive color combinations that your kid can love.