Today, there many kitchen appliances that are available in the market. For us to make our food tender without any hassles, a slow cooker must always come handy at our kitchen.
To enable us to prepare meats and other foods conveniently, we can make use of slow cookers which are aligned to do different types of cooking. Thankfully, slow cookers are invented because of people that are meticulous when it comes to the foods that they are cooking.
A slow cooker, as the name implies, can cook various types of dishes (soup, stew, braised meat, etc.) slowly at a low temperature. They are a great comfort for stews, soups, bean stew, pot broils, and other delicious dishes, for example, pastries. They are utilised by everybody all inclusive.Moderate cookers give comfort to individuals who like home-prepared meal, however are on tight time plans.
List of Top 10 Slow Cooker Reviews
First, Slow cookers aka crock pot is a countertop electrical cooking appliance used to simmer at a lower temperature than other cooking methods, such as baking, boiling, and frying. (reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_cooker ). You can put all the ingredients into it and go to work or sleep. And post a few hours, your food would be ready. You don’t really have to stand to check after time intervals. Instead, you could leave it unattended. Best meals to be made in slow cookers are pot roast, soups, loaves of bread, stews, rajma and other legumes.
Top 10 Best Slow Cooker India Reviews
1. Pringle 4.5-liters Slow Cooker
This is a triple slow cooker from Pringle that comes with a total capacity of 4.5 liters. It features adjustable knobs that enable you to control the temperature so that you can easily cook three different dishes at the same time.
The lids have a design that can accommodate the serving spoon handles. This is the ideal buffet warmer for parties that can cook, serve, and keep pre-cooked food warm.
- The Pringle FW1806 TRIPLE Slow Cooker is ideal for preparing a hearty supper at home. Fill it up with your favourite ingredients and let it simmer slowly to prepare tasty, handmade, and nutritious meals...
- This means you can make it in the morning and have your meal ready when you come home from work. Ceramic Removable Oval Pot The removable inner oval ceramic pot and lid rest make serving and cleaning a...
- Lid made of tempered glass The tempered glass cover allows you to keep an eye on the cooking process. Temperature Controls Warm, Low, and High Automatic Heat Settings The Keep Warm feature keeps the food...
- Cool Handles: Stay cool handles and knobs; Also helps you transport the slow cooker from countertop to table using integrated side handles safely
- Brushed Stainless Steel outer shell and Removable ceramic pot inside; Capacity: 4.5 Liters
Difference Between Slow Cooker And Pressure Cooker
The primary difference between a slow cooker and pressure cooker is the time both these cookers take for cooking food. A slow cooker is used for slow cooking food items, especially stews, roasts, soups, casseroles, etc. It takes four to ten hours to cook the food over a low temperature so that the flavors get distributed evenly. Hence, the food is more flavorful and delicious.
On the other hand, a pressure cooker can cook the same dishes at a significantly less amount of time. Unlike, slow cookers they can prepare the food in just a few minutes.
The food and the liquid inside is sealed and allowed to heat up. As the water inside heats up, steam is created, which in turn cooks the food much faster. Pressure cookers can cook tough meats and can make them tender within a few minutes.
Things to keep in mind while purchasing Slow Cooker:
Size—Size issues, yet recall that regardless of whether it guarantees 5-liter limit, you won’t receive 5 liters of supper in return because you can’t fill it to the top, with the usable cooking space generally around two-thirds of the stated capacity. Size available in 17 ounces (500 mL) to 7.5 quarts (7L) and up
- Heat Settings—Slow Cooker come with diffrent heat mode option, you can choose according to specipic needs. Most of slow cookers have low, medium, and high settings and some have a ‘keep warm’ mode, some have continuous adjustable power and some have no controls for temperature with a constant heat to the food inside. Programmable rice cooker are used as slow cookers.
- Advantages—Slow cookers usually allow one-step preparation. Placing all the ingredients in the slow cooker saves preparation time and cuts down on cleanup. These cookers are usefull througout year in winter you can welcome the aroma of hot soup and in summer time you can save yourself form kitchen heat.
- Cleaning—it is to clean. Inner pot can be easily washed by hand and some can go into the dishwasher.
- Cost—Slow cooker is available in different prices about $30 to $200 based on the features, size, and material it is made from. You could spend much more on toaster ovens, broilers, and convection ovens. You can save up to 50% on groceries when you buy cheaper cuts of meat. They will cook up fork tender with a delicious flavor by adding vegetables and spices. If you are vegetarian, vegan, or diabetic, you will save tons of money.
- Energy Savings —It will help you to save more energy than other appliances. You will save another potential 50%. You will also save more money using the leftovers for the kids’ lunch and your own lunch.
- Health Conscious—Everybody want to cook food with the benefits of vitamins and minerals. You will never need to include margarine, fats, or oils to obstruct your corridors. Simply cut back the excess off you meat and chicken before utilizing.
- Storing the Crock Pot—is a no brainer. It can be stored in the refrigerator with its lid on top. Be sure to let it warm up before heating so the ceramic doesn’t crack or break. Read your instruction booklet for this direction.
Most moderate cooker/simmering pots will concoct oats, granola, couscous, all meats, vegetables, and some will cook sweets. Rice can be cooked, yet recollect, it duplicates in size when cooked. In the event that you utilize 1 cup of dry rice, it will concoct to be 2 cups. On the off chance that you need a different rice cooker just for rice, see them here.
Why Should You Buy A Slow Cooker?
- Accuracy – it gives the correct low temperature on every use which will give better texture on the foods that you are cooking especially meats.
- For more delicious foods –slow cookers are proven to bring out the flavor of the foods that you are cooking as much as possible which results in better tasting foods.
- Safer to use – compared to LPG, electric slow cookers are much safer because you are not exposed to fire and accidents that are inflicted by fires and LPG.
- Energy-saver – it is known that slow cookers utilize lesser electricity than other types of cooking equipment.
- Multipurpose – it is designed to fit different types of food preparations which make the most out of your money. This all in one cooker can give you almost all your needs in cooking.
- Easy to use – it lessens the tremendous amount of effort that you will need to prepare tender meats.
- Versatility – because of its many functions, aside from your house, you can bring it with you especially on picnics. It will greatly help those travelers because it is portable and easy to handle.
- Durability – it can withstand extensive use because it is known for cooking in an extended amount of time with low temperatures. Also, it is designed for multifunctional use which proves that it has the ability to last longer.
- Safe to use – it has cool-touch handles and tempered glass to avoid accidents.
What Can You Cook In A Slow Cooker?
There are lots of foods that can be cooked in a slow cooker and it is too numerous to mention. Here are some of the notable slow cooker meals.
What To Look For In Buying Slow Cooker?
- Food grade materials – by checking that the product has this attribute you and your family is safe from the harmful effects of toxic chemicals on your health.
- Programmable controls – this feature is very important as you can have the privilege to have more precise cooking of your foods. The reason for this is that there are a specific temperature and amount of time needed for a specific food ingredient for it to achieve much better texture and taste.
- On and off indicators – this will give you the privilege to know if the slow cooker is currently turned on or off in this way you will not keep guessing. By having this feature you are al,so protected from unwanted accidents due to carelessness.
- Ceramic crocks – crocks that are made of ceramic are proven to be the best of both worlds when it comes to slow cookers. They are known to last longer compared to other types of materials.
- Maximum capacity – by checking carefully the maximum capacity of the slow cooker that you are eyeing to buy you will know if it is sufficient enough for the number of people in your household.
- Removable inner pot – by having removable stoneware cleaning will be a lot easier and it will also keep the electronic components safe.
- Portability – this allows you to bring the slow cooker outdoors whenever and wherever you need to without any difficulties.
- Locking lids – by having this feature on the slow cooker that you will buy will give you an assurance that there will no spill that will happen. It will also ensure that the hot temperature is only contained inside of the slow cooker which makes cooking more efficient.
- High-quality materials – you must check carefully if the reputation of the product is really good. By doing this you are giving yourself a peace of mind that the product will last long.
- Good warranty – it is really important to ensure that the product has good warranty terms to give you a sort of protection if an issue with the item arises.
- Low power consumption – always see to it that the slow cooker that you are eyeing to buy has reasonable energy consumption. By doing this you can save a lot of money on your electricity bills.
- Thermostat – this feature will save you a lot of electricity and at the same time prevents overheating to happen.
- Non-stick coated – this feature prevents residues to stick on the bowl which will eventually help you clean the item without hassles. This also adds durability on the item as it prevents scratches and chips to occur.
- Extra accessories –it is always much better to look for extra accessories when shopping for an item and it is also applicable with slow cookers. Some of the notable accessories that are usually included in the package of slow cookers are frying basket and steam rack.
- Delay timer – by having this feature you can actually multitask because you have the capacity to control when you want your slow cooker to start doing its thing.
Important Features to Consider
Crock pots come with a wide range of available features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a crock pot:
- Multi-functionality. While their primary function is as a slow cooker, many new crock pots can function as other cooking machines. These other functionalities include rice cookers, pressure cookers, and casserole cookers to name a few.
- Energy consumption. As technology improves, crock pots are becoming more energy efficient. You want a crock pot with low energy consumption because it will be on for many hours every time you use it.
- Programmable. Crock pot recipes can be more complex than just heating the ingredients for hours. A programmable crock pot can handle more complex recipes without you having to be there to make manual changes.
- Size. The size of a crock pot is usually measured in quarts and determines how many people you can cook for at one time. A 6 qt crock pot is capable of cooking for 7 or more people.
- Warm feature. Crock pots are designed to shut off after they reach the end of the cooking time. Pots with the warm feature reduce the temperature so that the food won’t continue to cook but will stay warm.
- Color. Crock pots tend to stay on home kitchen counters as a portable appliance. Choosing the right color will help your pot blend in with your other appliances.
- Dishwasher safe. Cleaning a crock pot can take some time, but that process goes faster when the lid and insert pot can be placed in the dishwasher.
- Locking lid. Many crock pots are designed to be easy to transport and you can use it as a serving vessel. Having a locking lid ensures that your crock pot will stay shut while transporting it, which keeps you safe and prevents spills.
- Handles. Although the cooking takes place in the insert pot, the outside of the crock pot can heat up too. Handles let you carry it safely, and most crock pots have heat-resistant plastic handles on the sides.
- Timer. Since crock pots run for a long time, having a built-in time makes it easier to keep track of when it should be done cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to clean a slow cooker?
- Before you start the cleaning process ensure that the unit is turned off and unplugged on the electrical outlet.
- If the stoneware is removable completely detach it from the unit.
- Wash it with soapy water and rinse it with warm water.
- However, if it is not removable you have no choice but to wipe the inside with a damp cloth and afterward dry it with a clean dry cloth.
- Is it safe to buy a slow cooker online?
Yes as long as it is from a highly-reputable website like Amazon.
2. Is it safe to let the slow cooker to run all day long?
Answer: Yes, because this kitchen equipment runs on extremely low voltage which gives you the privilege to cook the meal for eight to ten hours. Although there are some slow cookers that has a keep warm feature which allows you to turn off your slow cooker while retaining the hotness inside of it.
3. Is it alright to use a dishwashing liquid in washing a slow cooker?
Answer: Yes, be sure to wash the bowl only and avoid the electronic components to have any contact with water.
4. How much time can a person leave their slow cooker on high and low temperatures?
|Low temperature||High temperature|
|6 to 8 hours8 to 12 hours||3 to 4 hours4 to 6 hours|
|The bottom line is by cooking your foods at higher temperatures you are reducing half the time of cooking your food in a slow cooker.|
5. Can a slow cooker catch a fire?
Answer: Although slow cookers run on the extremely low voltage it will be unavoidable for it to get hot especially on the bottom part. That is why safety precaution is still a must by ensuring that your slow cooker is not placed on top of a flammable object such as wood, cloth, or paper as it can accumulate fire. It is advisable to place it n a stable platform such as tiled surface and cemented area.
6. Do slow cookers consume a lot of electricity?
Answer: not because it uses low voltage of electricity to maintain the temperature that is required for slow cooking.
7. How much amount should I fill a slow cooker?
Answer: It is recommended to fill the interior of the slow cooker for at least half or ¾ for optimum results.
8. It is necessary to stir if I will cook on a slow cooker?
Answer: It is not necessary to stir the foods that are cooked in a slow cooker. The reason for this is it will defeat the purpose of slow cooking because once you remove the lid while the slow cooker is functioning then heat loss will occur.
9. How do I know what capacity of the slow cooker to buy?
Please refer to the table below
|1 person2 people3 to 4 people4 to 5 peopleMore than 6 people||1 and a half quarts2 ½ up to 3 ½ quarts3 ½ up to 4 ½ quarts4 ½ up to 5 quarts6 quarts above|