Do you wonder how to survive a hot summer or how to heat your room in winter? Perhaps, it’s high time to think about a reliable and cost-efficient portable air conditioner that will maintain the optimal temperature in your room. This review will help you find the one you need.
Popular Portable Air Conditioners In India:
Today in this article we write up and telling you about the top 9 portable air conditioners available in in India.
Portable air conditioners are useful for cooling, and sometimes dehumidifying, small areas of the home or office. Portable air conditioners can supplement window units, and are often programmable to run at certain times or at specific temperatures. Portable air conditioners are excellent choices for small apartments in that other air conditioning units, similar to a window unit, may be forbidden by landlord’s otherwise private housing rules.
Best Portable Air Conditioners in India
Let’s find out the top 10 best Portable Air Conditioners in India online. You can check features, price, review, and discount of each product in the list. Top 10 Portable Air Conditioners are ranked based on their popularity, ratings, and the number of sales in India. The ten Portable Air Conditioners which are listed may vary regularly, as the list is updated daily considering the product availability, shopping deals, and customer feedback. The listed Portable Air Conditioners are bestsellers in their category which are trusted by many users. Now go ahead and make a choice from the list of best Portable Air Conditioners in India.
- Energy Rating: 3 Star (2018). Note that as per Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), there is a 2 point energy rating drop in 2018 for non-inverter split ACs. E.g. a 2017 5 star non-inverter split AC will become 3 star in 2018.
- Type: Non Inverter Split AC
- 1.5 Ton Capacity: Suitable for medium sized rooms (121 to 179 sq ft)
- Durable soft fan blades make you free of injury
- Super mute
- Air volume comfort, suitable to use for all seasons
- Pitch angle can be adjusted upwards or downwards
- Can add scent bead or ice into the box to give out cool wind with fragrance
- USB Powered, no external power required
- Parameter:5V / 500MA
- Power:2.5W Battery: 1.5V, 3 * AA batteries.(Package not include the battery)
- How to use: Use the 3 * AA Battery Or the USB.
- Available in both indoor and outdoor
- Easy to carry, Stocks will be sent as per availability
- Can add scent bead or ice into the box, and give out cool wind with fragrance
- Air Purifier Type - Room; Purification method - High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestant (HEPA) filter type
- Coverage area: 677 sq. ft. / 63 sq. mtrs., especially suitable for bedrooms
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR): 270 m3/hr
- Good for any usb connector devices(computer, laptop, PC, Notebook, Netbook, Tablet etc.)and you. Power on/off, High/Low wind force adjustable.
- It is portable and very convenient to move it to any places
- Material: ABS plastic + electronic components Color: Black, White (Random color will be sent)
- Mini Fragrance Air Conditioner Cooling Fan Is Made Of Durable Hard Plastic Material, And Powered By 3 Aa Batteries And Usb Cable To Provide Strong Wind With Low Power Consumption
- With Desktop Design And Easy To Use, It Is A Wonderful Mini Air-Conditioning Fragrance Fan For Choice
- You Can Add Scent Beads And 50Ml Water Into The Storage Box Inside The Fan, To Give Off Fragrance Besides, You Also Can Add Ice Or Ice Water Into The Storage Box To Provide Freezing Air To Let You Say Goodbye To Hot Wind
- Capacity: 20 Litres; Ideal for room size of upto 150 Sq Ft.
- Product dimensions (LxBxH): 44.5 cm x 42.5 cm x 64.5 cm
- For any product related issues, please contact Crompton Customer care at 1800 419 0505 (9:00 AM to 7:00 PM - Monday to Saturday)
- Ton : Capacity: 1.2 Ton . Fin Type : Golden Fin Technology.Filter : Anti Bacterial / Direct Wash Filter . Anti Drip : Anti Drip Technology
- Air Flow 4 Direction Air Swing .Timer : 24Hrs Timer . Remote : LCD Display Remote . Type: 3-In-1 Appliance (AC/Dehumidifier/Fan)
- Evaporator: Water Auto Evaporator . LED Display Large LED Display. Connection Easy Window/Wall Connection
How to Choose a Portable AC:
Portable ACs or PACs are the best cooling solution for spaces that are too small and narrow to accommodate a window-mounted version. Some common places in the house where these machines are used are workshops, sun rooms, garages, and other rooms that can be negatively affected without proper ventilation and circulation.
If you are planning to get one, you should make it a point to find the best portable air conditioner for your needs. There are several factors that you should consider when doing this, and it can all get a bit technical for the average Joe to understand. Don’t worry–we’ve put together a quick guide. Here are the big points to consider when you’re shopping for your new portable air conditioner:
1. The Amount of Power You Need
The proper power rating for the area or room you want to install the PAC on is a very important factor to consider:
If your machine is underpowered, you won’t see the cooling effect that you were expecting, especially in hot, humid summers. If your unit is overpowered, you might have trouble finding a comfortable setting.
The first thing to do is to establish the square footage of the space you’re trying to cool down. Remember that if you’re cooling a room that’s connected to another room, you should consider both of them when you’re totaling up the measurements. We’ve put together a chart of rough floor space to BTU ratios at the top of this page.
Experts also recommend that you consider the insulation and floor plan of the room where you want the unit installed in order for you to determine the proper BTU or British Thermal Unit rating that you need. If you don’t take insulation and other dynamics like air flow or ventilation, there is always the chance that you will end up with excess condensation in your room. Know how high the ceilings are compared to the standard 8 ft. height, and be sure to take any big discrepancies into account. If your ceilings are higher than average, you’ll want to round up your space/BTU requirements proportionally. For lower ceilings, simply do the reverse.
One other big consideration when you’re thinking about the appropriate BTU rating for your space is whether the unit in question is a single or dual hose portable air conditioner. If you’re looking at a single-hose unit, you’ll want to make some modifications to our chart. That’s because most of those ratings are tested to apply only to wall units, which have two ports for cycling air.
Smaller portable A/C units like the EdgeStar are often “single-hose” designs. That allows them to be smaller an more convenient to set up in your window. However, it does make them more inefficient. If you’re looking at a single-hose unit, you’ll want to add another 50% to the recommended power rating, to compensate for the lack of efficiency.
Finally, BTU guidelines can sometimes vary depending on the manufacturer of the AC unit, so you’ll want to take them with a grain of salt. We’ve used mean ratings in our chart, to help you get a rough sense of the market as a whole.
Always round on the conservative side. That means it’s better to have a slightly overpowered unit than a slightly underpowered unit. If your unit is slightly too powerful, it’ll simply have less work to do. If it’s slightly underpowered, it could burn itself out early by trying to keep up with the load. Don’t take that too far, though, since a really overpowered unit might cool your space too severely.
2. Think About Environmental Factors
In addition to your space measurements as a factor for BTU calculation, outside factors can affect it as well. Depending on these other factors, you’ll probably have to make some adjustments when considering the BTU that you need:
Again, when you’re doing so, make sure you always round up and err on the side of a bit too much power. You might not need every single BTU every day, but that extra power can really come in handy during a heatwave or a humid streak.
Generally, you’ll want to think about a few key factors:
First, think about sunlight, especially during the middle of the day. For example, if your room is heavily shaded, it is suggested that you reduce your BTU capacity by 10%. If the room is on a part of the house that always receives sunlight, however, then you have to increase it by 10%.
The number of people that will occupy the room is another consideration. You have to add 600 BTU for each additional person beyond two who will occupy the room. That’s due to body heat, as well as the CO2 each person breathes out, which warms the room even more.
Finally, make sure you think about air flow in your house. If you’re cooling a room that’s shut off most of the time, you can get away with a lower power rating. However, if there’s a fair amount of air circulating between the cooled room and the next space, you probably want more power.
3. The Type of Controls that You Need
The controls that you prefer are the next factor that you have to consider. You can choose to have PACs which can be controlled by louvers and remote controls. Then there are also units with a manual control type which are easier to operate. Many newer units also have smart features to save you energy, and make the whole process more convenient. We like models that automatically restart the cooling process at your preferred settings after a power outage. Another great feature is a timer, so you can tell the machine when specifically you need to cool the room down, and when it can shut off and save you electricity.
The more you pay for your unit, the more you’ll get in terms of convenience and automatic controls. To decide on your budget, think about how often you’ll want to adjust the machine, and how many different temperature settings you’ll assign. For instance, most of us won’t run the a/c quite so much while we’re not at home, so you’ll have one temp for the hours you’re home, and another for the hours you’re at work. On the other hand, if you have pets to think about, you may simply want to pick one temperature and leave it.
4. Other Features to Consider
In addition to all the other factors mentioned, it’s important to think about the long term. Consider the amount of time you are planning to keep the air conditioner on, and the quality of the customer service that the manufacturer provides. If you’re going to run it most of the year, in a warmer spot, you don’t want to skimp on durability or reliability. If you’re only going to need your unit for a couple killer weeks in the summer, you don’t need to worry too much about finding the most rugged machine on the market.
Noise levels are also very important. If you are planning to install the air conditioner in your work area or bedroom, you have to gauge to the amount of noise it produces. Otherwise, you might find yourself stuck with a unit that is too noisy. Think about where your machine will be set up, and where you’ll be while it’s running.
Pro tip: Look for models with several fan settings, so you can find the right balance between power and noise!
Are portable AC units worth buying in India?
We know Split A/C and Window A/C systems. While they are popular and efficient, they do have some disadvantages. Very recently I learnt about the availability of Portable AC Units (sometimes referred to as Tower AC also). I was curious to find out if they are worth buying. This post details my findings. Below is a quick comparison of conventional Air conditioning (Window/Split) vs portable air conditioning units.
|1 More powerful|
2 More models and options available
| 1 Can’t be moved. Needs one per room minimum- for small families with one or two people, who spend few hours in living room and few more in bed room, two AC means double the expense, without full usage.|
2 Needs installation effort
Not convenient in rented houses or those who need to keep moving cities frequently
|1 Movable units- easy to change direction or move around on need basis|
2 No installation expenses
3 Serves the purpose of cooling a bit to some extent
| 1 Can’t cool medium/big rooms. Portable A/Cs are efficient only in small rooms- around 10ft by 10ft.|
2 Not truely portable. They have a big hot air duct that needs to be connected to window
3 No Resale value
4. Major Consumer goods brands like LG, Samsung etc are not offering portable AC. Only few lesser known brands.
5. Star ratings not available as in conventional ones. Power consumption could be higher
When I tried investigating a bit more about Portable Air conditioning systems, AMFAH brand came up prominently on the net. Below are some pics and first hand observation notes from my visit.
AMFAH 1 ton portable AC costs about INR 35000. It comes with 3 year warranty for compressor and 1 year for whole unit. Min temperature setting possible was 18 degree C, not 16 as in many conventional ACs. As I went inside, the staff opened a new unit, connected it to power socket and switched it on. Cool air started coming out of it, but unless I keep my arm closer to the vent, I couldn’t feel it. Of course we were in a room too big for the capabilities of this AC. In small rooms it could be more effective. Compressor needs 3 minutes to turn on- I am told.
The important thing to note is the hot air exhaust duct. This portable AC unit doesn’t release water out, but it needs a way to expel hot air. That is facilitated by a plastic flexible duct pipe as you see in the picture. We need to connect this end to an window outlet. This means the unit needs to be kept within about 1 meter from the window, unless you can plan some extension to this pipe.
Connecting this pipe to window is tricky. There is an apparatus provided in the box, which helps fix the pipe to the window. But this apparatus is meant for sliding type windows, which are common in western countries. In India most windows open in a flip style, where this apparatus will not be of much use.
Surprisingly, popular AC makers like LG, Samsung etc are not selling portable ACs in India. (LG sells portable ACs in USA). Either they realize that portable ACs can’t be effective in India and selling them could prove to be counter productive as customers realize their limitations, OR they feel portable ACs may cannibalize their main business- window and split ACs.
There seems to be no resale market for portable ACs either. Sites like OLX have near zero listing of Portable ACs- few existing listings seem to be from recent buyers who’ve realized the limitation of portable AC after buying it and want to get rid of it.
Apart from AMFAH, Llyod seem to be another brand selling portable ACs in India. Lloyd’s model is cheaper by 10k compared to AMFAH, with similar specs. Snapdeal had this product listed for about 25k. The user reviews are mixed- few suggesting it is total waste of money, while few saying it is fine for small rooms. Another lesser known site is selling the same for 2k less- Check this
Conclusion: Portable AC is not a replacement for window/split AC. Where possible one should go for these conventional Air conditioning units. Portable ACs may work for small rooms and can be considered when there’re some challenges to buying/installing conventional AC units.
What do you think? Write in Comment.
Portable Air Conditioners Buyer’s Guide
The Portable ACs allows you to appropriately cool down a room devoid of any difficult installation procedure. You must go through this buying guide to discover the one that is going to assist you in making your home really comfortable and relaxing.
Portable Air Conditioners – Advantages
These appliances suck in the air inside the room, makes it cool, and guides it back inside your room, expelling the hot air outside by means of an exhaust pipe that you need to install in a window. The controls that have been provided on the unit offer you the ability to regulate the settings like the fan speed or the temperature.
The Portable Air Conditioner is a humble yet multipurpose alternative to those central air conditioners as well as the window ACs. Intended to cool down any single room, it’s comparatively stress-free to install and might be a nice option for all those rooms without any standing cooling system or the rooms you don’t require cooling constantly. It might further supplement the bigger systems and assist in cooling the studio apartment or rentals where you’re incapable of setting up those permanent units.
Relaxed installation and the portability offered by the compact design as well as the wheels permit you to carry the AC from any room to the other and reinstall it without much of an effort.
Selecting the Correct Portable Air Conditioner
The precise and the best air conditioner allow you to cool down a room in a really effective manner. An undersized model might not be able to cool pretty effectively whilst the one which is really large is not going to eradicate a lot of humidity, which might make the air feel damp. To discover an appropriate portable air conditioner, calculate the entire area of the room which you require cooling. You further require knowing the BTU (British Thermal Unit) rating of the AC, which specifies the quantity of heat it might be able to eliminate out of the room. A higher BTU signifies enhanced cooling performance for a bigger space or room. For reference we have provided a chart below with the room size together with the appropriate BTU rating:
- Up to 450 sq ft: look for a 13,000-BTU unit
- Up to 400 sq ft: look for a 12,000-BTU unit
- Up to 300 sq ft: look for a 10,000-BTU unit
- Up to 200 sq ft: look for an 8,000-BTU unit
You must always bear in mind that with an increase in the BTU rating, the weight, as well as the size of the air conditioner, get increased.
Features of Portable Air Conditioners
You might be capable of finding an air conditioner comprising of several functions apart from just the mere cooling function. The dehumidifier mode eliminates the moisture present in the air deprived of cooling. The fan feature just makes the air circulate evenly inside the room. A few portable ACs offer the heating feature, permitting you to hold onto a comfortable temperature all throughout the year. Ensure that you organize the unit for every single mode that it has on offer. For an instance, the cooling mode needs a hot air exhaust, whilst the dehumidifier feature needs the contact with a drain to eliminate the moisture that the unit amasses. In case the portable air conditioner comprises a heating function, the heating unit is going to possess a distinct BTU rating, signifying that the room size that it is suitable for might be separate.
Some additional features provided by a Portable Air Conditioner are:
- Since the air conditioner cools down the air present in the room, it further eliminates the moisture. The water gets collected inside the unit in a chamber. The self-evaporating ACs diminishes the requirement draining this water out.
- An automatic timer allows you to set the switch off and on time for the AC at precise times, which assists you in reducing the consumption of energy since the AC operates for a definite time period only.
- The availability of a remote control further enhances the user experience — you can also regulate the settings and turn off or on your air conditioner from anywhere inside the room.
- A lamp-off function allows you to turn the panel display lights off so that they don’t turn the room awkwardly bright at the nighttime.
Maintenance & Setup
You must choose a position adjacent to any window and should have a power outlet nearby. Make a note that the producer might state that you need to plug the device straight into the power outlet without making use of an extension cord. The setup process is comparatively quick as well as stress-free and must require only a screwdriver to get it done. You should install the ACs adaptable window panel and attach the exhaust pipe or tube. Permit the unit to stand in an upright position for nearly an hour and it’s all set to function.
- The Portable ACs needs have a really simple maintenance. Note that you must disconnect the AC from power outlet prior to beginning the maintenance process.
- Then you need to drain the water out of the unit if required. Relying on the conditions, also those self-evaporating portable air conditioners might require draining.
- Further, you must wash its air filter within a time period of 2 weeks or as the manufacturer has stated in the user manual or guide.
The user must also wipe down the AC on a regular basis using a damp cloth to eliminate the accumulated dust. Also, wipe down the surplus moisture using any dried cloth.
Table of Contents
- Popular Portable Air Conditioners In India:
- Best Portable Air Conditioners in India
- How to Choose a Portable AC:
- Are portable AC units worth buying in India?
- Portable Air Conditioners Buyer’s Guide